In today's interconnected world, strategic disinformation has become a pervasive force, fueling major societal problems such as climate change denial, extremism, polarization, fraud, and the suppression of rights. It infiltrates our information channels, from social media and news outlets to financial reporting and other broadcast platforms, distorting reality and undermining trust.
Recognizing the urgency to address this global issue, the Centre for Financial Reporting and Accountability at Cambridge Judge Business School is organizing the Cambridge Disinformation Summit. This highly anticipated event, both in-person at King's College and accessible online, will take place on July 27 and 28, 2023.
Bringing Together Global Thought Leaders:
The summit will gather an exceptional lineup of global thought leaders hailing from diverse fields such as psychology, journalism, financial reporting, political science, and information science. With their collective expertise, these luminaries will engage in insightful discussions on various topics:
- The Societal Impact of Strategic Disinformation: Understanding the profound consequences of strategic disinformation is crucial to addressing its pervasive influence on society. Panel discussions at the summit will delve into the far-reaching effects, exploring how disinformation exploits belief systems and perpetuates divisions.
- Methods Used to Disseminate Disinformation: To effectively combat disinformation, it is essential to comprehend the tactics employed to propagate falsehoods. The summit will shed light on the strategies and techniques that disinformation agents employ to manipulate public opinion, highlighting the need for proactive countermeasures.
- The Psychology of Entrenched Belief Systems: Unraveling the psychology behind deeply entrenched belief systems is a key step in dismantling the stronghold of disinformation. The summit's sessions will provide valuable insights into the cognitive processes that contribute to the effectiveness of disinformation campaigns.
- Means to Mitigate Disinformation Efficacy: While the challenges posed by disinformation are complex, the summit aims to explore effective strategies to mitigate its effectiveness. By examining topics such as fact-checking, natural language processing, and audit techniques, experts will explore ways to enhance information credibility and combat disinformation.
Unmissable Panels and Keynote:
The agenda is packed with captivating panel discussions and a keynote address by renowned experts. Some notable sessions include:
- "Belief Systems: Why is Disinformation Effective?": Uncover the psychological mechanisms that make disinformation so potent in shaping beliefs and actions.
- "Platform Accountability vs Free Speech Rights": Explore the delicate balance between holding platforms accountable for disinformation and upholding the principles of free speech.
- "Combatting Disinformation: Counterprogramming, Inoculation, Education, and Community": Discover innovative strategies to combat disinformation through counterprogramming initiatives, education, and fostering resilient communities.
- Keynote: "Social Media Responsibility and Accountability" by Frances Haugen, Advocate for Accountability & Transparency in Social Media and Co-Founder of Beyond the Screen: Gain valuable insights into the responsibility of social media platforms and their impact on society.
You can check the schedule here.
Special Offer for DCN Global Community Members:
As proud collaborators with Cambridge University, we are delighted to offer our DCN Global community members an exclusive opportunity to participate in the online Cambridge Disinformation Summit at a significantly reduced rate. The standard registration fee for this event is £125, but through our collaboration, you can secure your spot for just £35.
To register for this transformative event, simply visit the registration link and click on the "DCN Global Registration" button. Use the code "DCNWAIVER" to unlock the dedicated registration option designed specifically for our community. We encourage you to act swiftly, as these discounted slots are limited and expected to fill up quickly.
The summit is hosted by a distinguished group of institutions committed to addressing the challenges of disinformation: the Cambridge Centre for Financial Reporting & Accountability, the Cambridge Psychometrics Centre, the University of Notre Dame Center for Accounting Research & Education, the University of Notre Dame Mendoza College of Business, the University of Zurich Accounting Faculty Group, and the Journal of Financial Reporting.
The Cambridge Disinformation Summit stands as a beacon of hope, uniting global thought leaders to combat the far-reaching consequences of strategic disinformation. By attending this groundbreaking event, you will gain invaluable insights, forge meaningful connections, and contribute to the development of sustainable methods to mitigate the efficacy of disinformation. Learn more by clicking here!